For the beauty of the earth, For the beauty of the skies,
For the love which from our birth Over and around us lies,
Lord of all, to thee we raise This our grateful hymn of praise.

Monday, July 16, 2012

Boy Mom Blog Hop 2012



(Click on link above for information about the BlogHop.)

Well, to say I'm a mom of boys would be to describe me in a nutshell. I have my own basketball team. :D (Although, I was shooting for a baseball team.) But we do not have a typical boy family here. Sure we have an occasional child who expresses interest in a sport, but that usually wanes and, as you know if you've been here before, ballet becomes all. And to think it all started with a simple need for some physical therapy for our second son, aka Thing 1.

So, for nearly 8 years, ballet has been our life. It's been interesting, definitely not what I pictured when I asked God to give me all boys. But God doesn't give amiss. I am the perfect mom for boys who desire to dance. That's because I couldn't really care less what convention demands. I'm the kind of woman who would have been among the first to wear pants in public simply because "convention" is often, well, let's say misguided...just to be nice. ;D It seems weird, but I do think He made me for exactly this job of raising a bunch of boys who transcend the norm and do what their hearts lead them to instead of what our society wants to force them to do by stereotype. But I'll stop there or I'll get on my soapbox and y'all will get an earful. ;)

So a bit, briefly, about each of my boys, outside ballet.

The Teenager--Nearly 16, when did I get so old? He's had his share of trials in his life, but by God's grace to us as a family he is coming out the other side a more Godly young man for it.

Thing 1--10.5--Classic introvert, closet genius, photographic memory. Won every. Single. Last. Thing there was to win in AWANA T&T his first year, last year. :)

Thing 2--8.5--Beautiful, heart-felt desire to serve God. Decided when he was barely six that he wanted to be a missionary, and not just any missionary but a bible smuggler. His heart breaks that there are people in the world who have no access to God's Word.

Braniac--5--Not-so-closet genius. He's got a radio in his head. (His words.) He's certain he's going to be the lead singer and the drummer of Newsboys when he grows up.

Babycakes--3--Our extra-special gift from God. Keeps us humble. A child who wasn't "wanted," who is less than perfect, but one that reminds us that God's plans are so much greater than our own.

I suppose, though, that the most important thing to know about us is that we are a family learning to serve God together in every area of our lives. My hope and prayer is that some day each of my children will stand out as a strong witness for Christ. It won't surprise me when it happens because I have seen God work in our family in such a mighty way this year, taking us from, well, near death is about the best description I can give, to new life. If He can perform that miracle, He is certainly powerful enough to strengthen my children and give them an unnatural boldness to serve Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment