For the beauty of the earth, For the beauty of the skies,
For the love which from our birth Over and around us lies,
Lord of all, to thee we raise This our grateful hymn of praise.

Monday, March 12, 2012

I'm Too Confused to Think of a Title :D

OK, so I haven't been blogging lately, something I plan to change over the next few months, if for no other reason than the hope that I can find some help for my latest "malady." What is this problem, you ask? Gifted-child. Yep. I seem to have one. Not sure how gifted, haven't had him tested yet. But he's basically taught himself to read (with a little help) and is doing 1st grade math. He's 4.

Now, if I planned to homeschool him for Kindy, as I have his brothers, this would be no big deal. However, the middles will be going to school for at least a year in the fall, possibly 2. When we toured the school for open house last week and I looked at the work, I knew he'd already done most of it, what he hasn't done he will before he starts. Sure the history & science will all be new, but the reading and math, possibly the Spanish, if he pays attention when Thing 2 is working on his, will not be.

I am perfectly comfortable advocating for my LD kids. Been doing that for years. Know it inside and out. But advocating for Braniac might be problematic, not just coz it's uncharted territory for me, but because I was just like him at his age, and school killed me.  Seriously, I died in school. I knew how to read, they forced me to relearn. I knew simple multiplication, they told me I was too young to possibly know that. It's the #2 reason mine have been at home all these years.

I had hoped by sending them to private school there would be less of this, and there may be. But right now I'm at that overwhelmed stage and I can't find an online group to get info from. Sure there are lots of organizations, but no place I can simply ask, "How do I communicate with the teacher?" "What should I ask for?" "How much home supplementation is acceptable?"

Well, I will now return to my search for an active group. Wish me luck. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment