For the beauty of the earth, For the beauty of the skies,
For the love which from our birth Over and around us lies,
Lord of all, to thee we raise This our grateful hymn of praise.

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Birthday Cake with a Side of Flash Mob

Oh, man, have I been busy. I actually have blog entries in the docket. That's very unusual.

Anyway...I spent today decorating a cake. Yes, the whole day. It shouldn't have taken that long but I wanted to try a new icing recipe I found at Food & Wine. As I commented on Pinterest, it's delicious, but it certainly is terrible for cake decorating. Basically, I had to put the cake into the fridge after having it out for about 10 minutes coz the icing was melting. I also had to put the bags of icing into the fridge before I could use them. It was a long drawn-out process. But the results were decent and I'll probably have another go at it...with firmer icing. :)


I used Wilton's Letters & Numbers cake pan to make a 5 (or an S, if you need it ;)). Following the cake batter recipe instructions I placed parchment paper on the bottom and I will definitely do that with this pan from now on. Much more bearable. The squares (see picture of pan in link) that usually are such a pain to cover up were barely noticeable. The cake batter was the same as I used on Wednesday for the cupcakes and it's just too good not to use again. :)


Braniac enjoyed many samples of the icing. :D


OK, to explain this weird icing job I'll link to the decorating idea I used. Don't worry, it got better. ;)


As you can see I changed the direction of the icing.  I started with the pink, but didn't start making corners until I reached the second corner. I'd love to say it's because I wanted to try something new with it but it's just that I forgot what I was doing since I had to keep putting it into the fridge between colors. :D


Normally a person would say, "The pictures don't do it justice." I will say, "The pictures make it look better than it really came out." lol.



And in the middle of all that, we had another Flash Mob. This time in Pomona at the Art Walk on Second, a few blocks from our church. Braniac has been telling us he's going to start dancing as soon as he turns five. Of course, he told us that at four and three as well, so we weren't really counting on it.  Apparently he's serious, as you can see from this video. :)


Just to clear up any confusion before-hand for those who don't know me IRL...No, that is not me in front of the three of them. I haven't been that thin since I had my first child over 15 years ago, and I've never been that tall. Besides, there is absolutely no way, short of threat of bodily harm, I would ever do something like this. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment