For the beauty of the earth, For the beauty of the skies,
For the love which from our birth Over and around us lies,
Lord of all, to thee we raise This our grateful hymn of praise.

Friday, April 13, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Good-Bye



      





It's a long good-bye. A terribly long good-bye. Emphasis on "terrible." While the diagnosis of Alzheimer's was not a surprise, the knowledge hasn't made things easier. Five times in almost as many minutes she asked, "Oh, is it my birthday today?" After asking me why I had called. Again. The time is soon coming when forgetting her birthday will be the least of my sadness. I know. I've read the articles, listened to the seasoned experts, the ones who've lost their loved ones to this, the most vicious of diseases...at least to the survivors. It is a disease that inflicts more pain and suffering on those who do not have it. It is a disease that prolongs the painful good-bye of death for far too many years. Each time I hang up the phone, I know, not much longer and there will be no more phone calls. The woman who loved me more than any other, apart from God, will be here in body only. Had I not been schooled diligently in Christ's school of suffering before now, I would not understand. But I know. He has a plan. This suffering will not be for nothing. This long good-bye will serve a purpose, probably an eternal one. But for now, it is simply an education. A painful one at that.

For more Five Minute Friday entries on this topic click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment