For the beauty of the earth, For the beauty of the skies,
For the love which from our birth Over and around us lies,
Lord of all, to thee we raise This our grateful hymn of praise.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

School Party

Tomorrow, Braniac turns five. He only has a one hour class, though, so we had his class party today. I made flower cupcakes from a combination of two ideas.

For the cake I used this recipe. Obviously, I replaced the flour with GF all-purpose flour. My sister introduced me to it and it's great. You add nothing, not even Xanthan Gum. It's also half the cost of King Arthur's GF all-purpose flour.

I got the idea from this which I found on, where else, Pinterest. :) I did not add pudding to the cake mix, just used the chocolate cake. It really didn't need it. The recipe makes a very moist cake. I did use Cool Whip for the icing, and sprinkles of various kinds. We used Tootsie Pops for the flowers, only because that's what I could find at Target. I used Wilton's Green Fondant and their Leaf Fondant Cutter for the leaves. The cutter instructions call for a mixture of fondant and gum paste but, since it didn't say that on the back, I didn't purchase any and there was no way to get it at 6am. The fondant worked just fine.

I did make one error, I counted wrong when cutting the leaves. Don't ask, but my excuse is that I'd been up since 2am. :) Everything else turned out fine, particularly the part where Braniac has stayed well, unlike the rest of us who've been sick (I had bronchitis last week). It would have been such a bummer if he'd woke up coughing like his brothers have been. Also, the rain held off when we had to transfer the cupcakes to the car and then into the school. :)

Sorry for the quality of the pics but I'm exclusively on my phone while we try to remove spots from my camera.












No comments:

Post a Comment