For the beauty of the earth, For the beauty of the skies,
For the love which from our birth Over and around us lies,
Lord of all, to thee we raise This our grateful hymn of praise.

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Facing the Giants--Cinderella story with a twist

Facing The Giants - DVD

The following contains major spoilers.

So the kids wanted us to get them Facing the Giants. They loved Courageous so much that, sight unseen, they knew they wanted all the other films. We found a good deal on a box set with Flywheel, Facing the Giants, and Fireproof. Yes, I bought Fireproof. I know, I know I'm not a big fan of Kirk Cameron as an actor, but I guess it won't hurt to watch it. ;D

Anyway, we watched FtG last night for movie night at home. Obviously, it's not as polished as Courageous, but we all enjoyed it. The Middles (ages 8, and 10) were enthralled. I will say that the infertility storyline really got to Thing 2. He's a child with a heart bigger than the universe, I'm pretty certain. He was quite upset. Of course, having gone through 5 years of infertility myself, I was kind of upset too. ;)

We really enjoyed the message. As Christians we oftentimes try to do everything on our own. We also, far too often if we would be honest, live more like the world than like a people set apart. This movie shows that that sort of living is not how we are to be. We are to view everything we do in life as something to be done to bring God glory. I was kind of chuckling at several points in the movie, not because I found them humorous, but because these were conversations I have with my kids on a regular basis, and in fact we had just had a long one that morning.

While I will probably always go back and forth on what I felt would have been a more realistic resolution to the infertility issue, that is mostly because I have gone through it, and know many women who, unlike me, have never had their prayers for a baby answered with a 'yes' but only with a 'my grace is sufficient for you.' I figured the whole movie would be a big "happy ending" but part of me thought it might have been better, maybe even more sensitive, if this part would have been left "unanswered." But I don't disagree that God sometimes answers our prayers for children with 'yes,' coz, well, I've had four since our bout with infertility.

So, in the end, I would give it 4 JJJJ out of 5. I suppose people who watch a lot of movies will have issues with the acting, but if they have issues with the 'happily ever after ending' they probably should just avoid American movies altogether. ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment