For the beauty of the earth, For the beauty of the skies,
For the love which from our birth Over and around us lies,
Lord of all, to thee we raise This our grateful hymn of praise.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Outta My Mind~~Or, How to Be a Proverbs 31 Woman



"Women around the world are IN THE WORD! Every Wednesday we will have a link-up. If you are a blogger we invite you to link-up any blog posts that you have written about your quiet time that week. We ask that you put our button in the post or on your sidebar so we can find each other. We do not have code for this link up button. Just right click and save as. Then link it to http://www.goodmorninggirls.org "

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

First, a little "mood music" to help understand the post a little more. And it's my third favorite song so I want to have an excuse to listen to it again. :D



What do you feel when you hear the term "Proverbs 31 Woman?" Let me tell you what I've felt through the years, hopefully it won't sound so accusatory. ;)

When I first learned of the "ideal" I was 19. It sounded wonderful to me because I wanted to be a perfect wife. If I could just learn to be exactly like this woman, I knew I would accomplish it. Later, when I was disillusioned, the term was like nails on a chalkboard (yeah, I'm dating myself). I hated it. In fact, I would just plain skip it when it came time to read it for reading through the bible or a devotional. Now that I've made peace with the poor woman I understand what really annoyed me the most about her. She's other focused.

When we read through the list of things she does we see that she is forever doing things for others. Nowhere do we see the line our world, and selfish pride, feeds us that we must put ourselves first. She truly puts the needs of others before her own. In this she is an image of Christ to us.

Christ gave all to save us from our sins. While we were yet sinners He died for us. He didn't wait until we had it all together. And before that, He fed the people. He healed them. He instructed them. In short, He tended to their needs.

We are to be like Christ in our lives. No, we cannot save people from their sins, but we can serve them. We can love them. We can point them to Christ by our Godly living, and our teaching. In this day and age, a person with a true servant's heart is so rare that if we acquire that (and let me assure you I am far from it) then we will stand out from the rest. We are to be a light, a city on a hill. Our light is to shine so that others will see our good works and glorify God in Heaven. When we put the needs of others first, when we serve them (she made portions even for her servant girls), then we are a true Proverbs 31 woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment